Monday, January 13, 2014

Subjects Gone Wild

I give some major props to macro photographers tonight, man. After several failed attempts to capture a shot of the eyeball belonging to my helpful, cheerful subject (read: obliged, exasperated husband who kept moving), I took a picture of some still objects instead.

The eye's tiny movements make it nearly impossible to shoot an non-blurred picture of it without the combination of a fast shot and enough rather bright lights, the latter of which I don't have. The larger movements made by the person, of course, can be somewhat controlled for, though it seems itchy feelings always become top of mind as soon as one is asked to "be still" or "don't move!"

Leather
50mm @ f/1.8, 1/30, ISO 1000
This Photo of the Day (POTD) ended up being a leather bracelet propped against a phone case. I diffused an incandescent lamp with a white sheet, and had my subject-turned-assistant hold up a gold reflector for some contrast lighting. I am pleased with the color result, and I like the added texture of the phone case.

This really makes me want to get that lanai cleaned up for a studio. Proper lighting... mmm, that will be fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment